What would be the next step after I send my on-line application?
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE COMPLETE APPLICATION PACKAGE containing all supporting documents. If you do not submit a completed application package, (on-line application form and supporting documents in hard copies) your file will not be reviewed.
Detailed instructions for compiling the documents in the application package are provided on the admissions page http://www.upeace.org/admissions/general.cfm and repeated below. Please read the guidelines carefully to determine which forms and documentation are needed.
The application form must be filled out on-line. A printed hard-copy of the on-line application form is not required.
Hard-copy documents (i.e. printed paper) must include the following relevant materials:
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Official Undergraduate Transcripts and Certified True Copy of Diploma
- Curriculum Vitae or Résumé
- 6 Passport size photographs
- Visa Form
- Financial Form
- English Proficiency Test Scores Report (TOEFL, IELTS)
- Copy of relevant Passport pages
What is the accreditation status of UPEACE?
Since UPEACE is an international academic institution chartered by the United Nations to grant graduate degrees; the academic quality of UPEACE programs is ensured by an International Academic Council (IAC) that meets bi-annually. The IAC is composed of eminent scholars, and was established in 2002 to certify the quality and relevance of UPEACE's Master's programs. In addition, UPEACE has initiated an accreditation process through the Costa Rican Ministry of Education. UPEACE will be the first graduate-level institution to be accredited in Costa Rica.
Do I receive an acknowledgment when my application package is received?
Yes, the UPEACE Department of Academic Administration (DAA) will send an e-mail acknowledging the receipt of your application package. In this same message you will be informed if any documents are incorrectly filled out and/or incomplete and you will be given some time to complete your application file. If documents are complete, you will be informed that processing for admission has begun.
What do you expect me to tell you in my Statement of Purpose?
Your Statement of Purpose must answer the following questions:
- Why has the applicant decided to apply to this program?
- What are the applicant's expectations from this program?
- What are the applicant's career prospects for this program?
- What type of multicultural exchanges has the student experienced?
A well written and thoughtful statement will improve the quality of your application and your evaluation by the UPEACE Admissions Committee.
What happens if I am not able to send two letters of recommendation in the package, e.g. what should I do if one or my recommenders are not in the same country where I live?
- Mail the recommendation letter in a sealed envelope to applicant
Mail the recommendation letter directly to UPEACE using a courier company such as DHL or FEDEX. The following address should be used:
University for Peace
c/o Department of Academic Administration
El Rodeo de Mora, Ciudad Colón
San José, Costa Rica
Tel: (506) 22-05-90-00
- Recommender may email their Recommendation Letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. What information should be available on the transcript?
Transcripts should include the following
- Authenticated original transcripts of records of a three or four-year Bachelor's degree with the official grading system in the original language along with an official English translation bearing the original signature of the Registrar and the school seal (1 copy of each).
- Details of all courses taken during the undergraduate degree. i.e grades, course codes, periods of time
- Number of credits per course and total number of credits.
- Period of time taken to complete the undergraduate degree (beginning and ending date).
If you find that some of this information is not stated on the transcript, please attach a certification letter from your University to complement the information on the transcript.
Should I send my Master's Degree transcripts?
Transcripts of records of MA degrees are not relevant in the admissions process. You may send your MA transcript but as complementary information. They will not influence your application.
Can I have my University send the transcripts directly to UPEACE?
Yes you can, just make sure that they reach UPEACE before the application deadline which is usually March 31st.
Is there a standard University for Peace format to present the CV or Résumé?
UPEACE does not have a special format for CVs or Résumés. You can choose the format you prefer, as long as the following information is included:
- Name of applicant
- Applicant's birth date
- E-mail address
- Postal address
- Phone number
- Academic background (including institution name, graduation year and degree obtained)
- Working experience (including name of the institution, date of beginning, ending date and position
- Multicultural exchanges
- Any other relevant information
My mother does not have a maiden name because in our country we do not use this, what name should I use?
If this is the case in your country, please use her first name and her father's last name. This is strictly required by Immigration to approve entry visas.
Does UPEACE have a recommendation for the nearest embassy for students who have no Costa Rican consular services in their home countries?
To find out the location of your nearest Costa Rican Consulate, check the following website:
What happens if I do not pay the tuition on time, due to reasons beyond my control?
If you are not able to make the payment on the established date, you must talk to the Head of Academic Administration. An administrative fee of US$50 will be charged each month until payment is made. Registration will not be allowed unless payment is received.
In cases where:
- The applicant will receive financial assistance from an institution; a written request for a deadline extension must be sent the Head of Academic Administration.
In addition, an official letter from the institution stating that the scholarship has been approved, and the disbursement dates must be provided. This also applies for loans.
- The applicant has applied to a financial assistance institution; an approval will be notified after the payment deadline, an extension of the payment deadline may be authorized.
A US$50 monthly administrative fee will be charged however until payment is received.
How far is Ciudad Colón from UPEACE?
Ciudad Colón is the nearest town to UPEACE campus, 7 ½ kilometers south east of El Rodeo de Mora, where the UPEACE campus is located.
How do I get to UPEACE every day?
UPEACE provides transportation from Ciudad Colón to UPEACE and back at different times during the day, free of charge for students. A bus schedule is provided upon arrival to UPEACE.
What is the cost of living per month?
UPEACE estimates that the cost of living expenses in Costa Rica for a single student, living relatively close to UPEACE campus (Ciudad Colón 4.6 miles away), is US$700 monthly. This cost may vary depending on the living standards of each student and the type of housing they choose.
Is there a gym on the UPEACE campus?
No, but you can find the following services in Ciudad Colón:
- Gym that offers many different classes such as Yoga, Pilates, Kick boxing, dance classes, and more
- Swimming pool
- Karate classes
- Soccer field
- Dance classes at the Cultural Center in downtown Ciudad Colón
What extra-curricular activities are there on campus?
Students initiate and carry out several activities each year, some of them are:
- African Cultural Festival
- Asia Festival
- Thanksgiving and Halloween Parties
- Vagina Monologues
- Movie night
- Open Mic Nights
- Soccer games
- Language classes
- Yoga and Meditation Sessions
Is there a bank on UPEACE campus?
No, however there are two state bank branches available in Ciudad Colón that operate during regular work hours:
- Banco Nacional de Costa Rica: Located in Ciudad Colón downtown next to the Catholic Church. Open from 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Banco de Costa Rica: Located in Ciudad Colón downtown 50 meters south of the Catholic Church. Open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Should I use my bank account from home?
Students will be able to withdraw money from international bank accounts from the ATMS available at both Banco Nacional and Banco de Costa Rica in dollars and colones. Credit cards and bank cards with Cirrus and Plus international systems are the only ones accepted. You will also have the opportunity to open a Costa Rican bank account once situated.
Are there counseling/advising services available at UPEACE?
In regards to assistance for dealing with concerns, whether personal or academic, students can contact the Consulting Team: UPEACE has a confidential consulting team available to students for personal concerns. Regarding academic or administrative concerns, since the University is an open higher education institution, students may present their concerns to a DAA (Dept. of Academic Administration) staff member or senior manager or Dean or Department Head at UPEACE. If the concern is related to a current class the student is attending, the matter should first be addressed with the course professor. If not satisfied, the student could address the matter with the Head of the Department, and then if necessary, with the Vice Rector for Academic Affairs. If further action is needed, concerns should be brought to the Rector.
Can I get a cell phone in Costa Rica?
Yes, it is possible for non-nationals to obtain mobile phones. DAA can facilitate this acquisition.
Is there a Clinic on Campus?
Yes, UPEACE has a clinic on campus with a resident General Practitioner. Where need be, students can be referred to hospitals in Ciudad Colon and/or CIMA Hospital, or Clinica Biblica, situated in San José