University for Peace Model United Nations Conference (UPMUNC) 2014
07 January 2014
Location: Campus Rodrigo Carazo.
Theme: Security, justice and equality towards sustainable world peace Deadline to submit applications: January 25, 2014
The UPMUNC 2014 Board of Directors announce the call for applications for participation of UPMUNC 2014, to be held on campus from the 19th of March 2014 to the 21st of March 2014.
UPMUNC is a student-led academic simulation of the real United Nations Organization, its most important bodies and specialized agencies, held for the purpose of providing participants with valuable insights into procedures and conflict resolution within the UN. For the last 11 years, UPMUNC has been annually conducted on UPEACE campus to provide a platform for students to train themselves in the functioning of different UN bodies.
With a history of wide participation from the UPEACE student body, visiting universities from around the world and staff of international organizations, UPMUNC has over the years become one of the hallmark events of UPEACE academic life.
UPMUNC will simulate the following Committees, topics and countries:
• Topic 1: The ongoing conflict in the Central African Republic • Topic 2: Accountability of UN peacekeepers for sexual exploitation and abuse Countries: China, Russia, France, United States of America, United Kingdom, Morocco, Togo, Guatemala, Pakistan, Azerbaijan, Chad, Nigeria, Chile, Lithuania
Human Rights Council
• Topic 1: Recognition and protection of LGBT rights • Topic 2: Use of technology and human right to privacy Countries: Angola, Argentina, Austria, Benin, Botswana, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Chile, Congo, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Gabon, Germany, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Montenegro, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Sierra Leone, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Venezuela
United Nations Environmental Programme
• Topic 1: Blue economy: as a road map for the future • Topic 2: Creation of a global fund for natural disasters Countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Honduras, India, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Mexico, Morocco, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, United States of America, Ukraine
• Topic 1: “Honor” killings and women’s rights • Topic 2: Gender equality in property rights Countries: Angola, Cape Verde, Congo, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Ethiopia, Lesotho, Libya, Nigeria and Tanzania, Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Republic of Korea and Timor-Leste, Estonia, Hungary, Russian Federation and Ukraine, Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada and Peru, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg and Sweden, Mexico, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Spain, United Kingdom and United States of America
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
• Topic 1: Protection of asylum seekers with infectious disease including HIV/AIDS • Topic 2: Protection of asylum seekers in transit Countries: Algeria, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Lebanon, Mexico, Morocco, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russian Federation, South Africa, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States of America, Venezuela
All participants in UPMUNC will receive 1 academic credit for the successful completion of the roles assigned to them.
Fill out the registration form: http://www.upeace.org/upmunc/register.cfm
Deadline to submit applications: January 25, 2014
Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions, or visit our website at http://www.upeace.org/upmunc.
Sincerely, UPMUNC 2014 Board of Directors