Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
Established in 2007, the HUFS-UPEACE Dual Master’s Programme includes study for two semesters each at the University for Peace (UPEACE) in Costa Rica and at the Graduate School of International and Area Studies, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies in Korea (HUFS). Students will earn two Master’s degrees, one from the HUFS and the other from UPEACE, upon completion of the programme. This dual-degree programme aims to contribute to the preparation of experts in the fields of human rights and international media, who will actively engage in conflict prevention and resolution around the world.
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS), which started out in 1954 with five foreign language departments, now teaches grand total of 45 languages. Thus GSIAS is well able to offer courses combining training in foreign languages and area-specific social science- based studies. The Graduate School of International and Area Studies (GSIAS) was established in 1996 for the purpose of cultivating area specialists equipped with research capability and linguistic competence in regional languages and English, well prepared to excel in the fields of trade, diplomacy, politics, economy, society and culture, and international organizations.
Areas of Academic Study
Under the dual degree programme, students choose one of the following 3 areas of study and corresponding MA programmes:
- 1. International Law and Human Rights
- 2. Media, Peace and Conflict Studies
- 3. Sustainable Development
For more programme details please click here.
- Graduates or anticipated graduates of a four-year university who are recognized by law as being university graduates (Admission is open to all undergraduate majors).
- A high level of English language proficiency is required.
- Special consideration will be given to applicants with previous experiences in peace-related activities.
Scholarships at HUFS
Students who show outstanding academic potential can receive full / half / partial tuition scholarships (Full-tuition: three students per semester; Half-tuition: three students per semester; partial tuition: all other students) and excellent international students can receive half tuition scholarship. Those who are selected as assistants in the research centers or faculty offices receive assistantship scholarship.
- Scholarship awards are not cumulative.
- Please note that HUFS scholarships are provided in the middle of each semester, so students are required to pay full tuition and admission fees in advance before each semester starts.
Scholarships at UPEACE
Scholarship while studying at UPEACE: A 50% tuition waiver will be granted to all HUFS-UPEACE Dual Master’s Students.
GSIAS runs a preparation program for entering students in order to provide them with basic knowledge on politics, economics, society and culture, and international studies before the first semester starts.
Special Lecture Series
GSIAS invites former and current Ambassadors of Foreign Missions in Korea and other eminent people in order to expose its students to a wide diversity of current affairs.
How to Apply
Please click here for information regarding Application and Admission.
**HUFS-UPEACE Application (Korean Students)**
**HUFS-UPEACE Application (Overseas/Non-Korean Students)**