Refugees and human rights
by Gerard Vergouw
Every year millions of refugees seek asylum.
The asylum seeker finds numerous difficulties, even in the Netherlands, an attractive nation:
- Intense procedure with a tight schedule.
- The need to support his/her story by evidence
- Emotional hardship
- filing an appeal
Learn about the protection of refugees in practice.
- The Refugee Convention of 1951 and The protocol of 1967;
- The European Convention on Human Rights, the most important (“No one shall be subjected to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment”), even as an argument against government rule that a refugee is denied a permit and has to be deported/returned to the country of residence.
- National Immigration laws and jurisprudence
Classroom 2 12–1:15 Thursday, Oct 16